Thursday, December 20, 2012

Burp Cloth Tutorial

 While waiting for our new nephew to be born, I had some nervous energy, so decided to make some custom burp cloths.  There are other ways of making these, you can find free patterns in a Google search, but my way allowed me to make seven in an hour and a half.

 What you'll need:
  • Package of 10 cloth diapers (the kind with the extra layers in the middle)
  • Fabric 7 inches by roughly 18 1/2 inches  (Pick busy patterns to camouflage any future stains)
  • Sewing machine and basic sewing supplies


Wash and dry all the diapers and fabric, using hot water and mild detergent.  I ironed the diapers (there's a phrase I never thought I'd write!) and fabric since they are easier to sew while wrinkle-free.

Cloth diapers vary a bit, so you may want to measure--mine were 18 inches long, so I cut my fabric 18 1/2 inches.  You can decide what width you'd like, I liked 7 inches, but when the fabric had a nice motif, I let the fabric dictate the width.

A 1/2 inch hem is a nice width (1/4 inch is doable, but a little more work).  I marked an inch and brought the edge up to the line for a quick press.
I love my ironing board cover!!  Every project  I press (clothing is never on the list) is nice and crisp!

*Find the middle of the diaper and the middle of the fabric....

and line up the centers. I found it necessary to pin, but if you're feeling sporty, you can sew without any.  (This is the only time pins will be used!)  Sew 1/4 inch across the end. 
Repeat from the * on the other end.

Your burp cloth will look like this....

Turn so the wrong sides are together.....
If you measured right and sewed 1/4 inch seam, it should lay perfectly flat.

Topstitch around the fabric as close to the edge as you can.

Voila!!  You're done!!  

Thought this fabric was the perfect Christmas fabric--you know, Merry Christ-moose!  Ha ha ha ha!!

Here's one I made with narrower hems but included the entire motif....
Am still waiting for our little nephew to arrive, but will post a picture when he comes into the world!!

No comments: